Housing Choice Voucher Program

What is the Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) Program?

The Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) Program is the federal government’s major program for assisting very-low income families, the elderly, and the disabled to afford decent, safe and sanitary housing in the private market. 


Since housing assistance is provided on behalf of the family or individual, voucher holders are able to find their own housing, including single-family homes, townhouses, and apartments. 

Housing Information

The voucher holder is free to choose any housing that meets the requirements of the program and is not limited to units located in subsidized housing developments. 


A family that is issued a housing voucher is responsible for finding suitable housing where the owner agrees to rent under the program. This unit may include the family’s present residence. Rental units must meet the minimum standards of health and safety, as determined by the Housing Authority.

The Vermilion Housing Authority provides assistance payments to private landlords on behalf of over 400 families who reside within Vermilion County. 

Small home

Safe & Sanitary Housing Solutions for your Family


When a family selects a housing unit, and the Housing Authority approves the unit and lease, the family signs a lease with the landlord for at least one year.  The tenant may be required to pay a security deposit to the landlord.  After the first year, the landlord may initiate a new lease or allow the family to remain in the unit on a month-to-month basis.  

The family is expected to comply with the conditions of the lease as well as the program requirements, pay their share of the rent on time, maintain the unit in good condition and notify the Housing Authority of any changes in income or family composition.  


The role of the landlord in the voucher program is to provide decent, safe and sanitary housing to a tenant at a reasonable rent. The dwelling unit must pass the program’s housing quality standards (HQS) and be maintained at those standards as long as the owner receives housing assistance payments.

In addition, the landlord is expected to provide the services agreed to as part of the lease signed with the tenant and the contract signed with the Vermilion Housing Authority.