What is Portability?

“Portability” in the HCV program refers to the process through which the family can transfer or “port” their rental subsidy when they move to a location outside the jurisdiction of the public housing agency (PHA) that first gave them the voucher when they were selected for the program. 


New families may not be able to port immediately; they may have to live in the jurisdiction of the initial PHA for a year before they can port. Initial PHAs may allow moves during this one-year period.


Initial PHAs: The PHA that first gave the voucher to the individual when they were selected for the program. 


Receiving PHAs: The agency that will administer assistance in the area to which the individual moves.


Porting In

Want to port in to the Vermilion Housing Authority?

If a family wishes to port into VHA, they must first contact their initial housing authority. The family must follow their initial housing authority’s procedures for porting out. 


Once VHA has received the family’s porting paperwork, we will contact the family, in writing, with a scheduled eligibility appointment. VHA is absorbing vouchers.

Mailing Information

Send your portability documents to:

Porting Out

Want to port out from the Vermilion Housing Authority?

If you wish to port from VHA to another PHA, you must first contact your Housing Choice Voucher Specialist. A “Request to Port” form and a “30-Day Notice” must be submitted prior to approval. 

If you are eligible to port, VHA will issue a voucher within 10 business days of the written approval to move. The initial voucher term will be 60 days.

Once you have been issued a voucher to port, VHA will forward necessary documentation to the receiving housing authority of the family’s choice. 

It is then the family’s responsibility to promptly contact the receiving housing and comply with their procedures for incoming portable families. The family’s failure to comply may result in denial or termination of the receiving PHA’s voucher.