Frequently Asked Questions

You will need to go to the Post office located at 303 N. Hazel St. Danville, IL 61832. Please take your lease to the post office and let them know you are a new resident. You will also want to fill out a Change of Address so that your mail is forwarded to your new address.

You will call 217-444-3126 and leave your name, address, and what you are needing fixed.  For non-emergencies, you can visit .


Rent must be paid by money order, check, or debit/credit card. Visit You can mail your payment to 1607 Clyman Ln., Danville, IL 61832 or drop it in the drop box located at Fair Oaks, Centennial Manor, Churchill Towers or Mer Che Manor.

If you are moving out, you must complete a written notice of Intent to Vacate thirty (30) days prior to the moving date. The form is available online or at all property management offices.

All changes to income or cash benefits for any household member MUST be reported within 10 business days of the change in written form. You will be required to submit supporting documentation of any income change. Documnets can inlcude, pay stubs, termination

Yes, but all requests to add person(s) to the household MUST BE PRE-APPROVED by the Housing Authority BEFORE the person may move into the unit.

The camera footage request form is available online, or the form is available at all property management offices.

All personal property is NOT covered by the Housing Authority. VHA is NOT responsible for loss, damage, or theft of any resident, family member or guest of a resident’s personal property. VHA strongly recommends that each resident obtain renters insurance to cover these issues.

No, VHA does not allow any size pool to be placed outside.

Pets are allowed with PRIOR approval by management and the owner must pay a Pet Security Deposit of $250 ($100 deposit/$150 not-refundable fee) for each approved pet. Please refer to the VHA pet policy for further information.

Yes, all residents are required to have a parking sticker. Guests may park in the visitors parking spots for no more than 3 days without prior approval. You will have to fill out the Parking sticker registration form along with current vehicle registration to receive a sticker.

If you have provided your thirty (30) day notification, then when you move out please make sure your unit is clean. Please remove all stickers from the walls, and make sure the stove and refrigerator are clean. Do not leave any items in your apartment or you will be charged to remove them. You will need to turn your keys into the office and call Ameren to have your utilities transferred to your new residence.

After you turn in your keys, VHA has 30 days to do a move out inspection and to process your

Call in a work order at 217-444-3126 and request that you need a lock change or visit to submit a work order.

***Emergency work order still need called in***

Your visitors are always welcome. However, the rules apply to your guests and you are
responsible for their behavior while on Vermilion Housing property. This includes your apartment,
common areas, and grounds. Guests are NOT allowed to stay overnight for more than three (3)
consecutive days. If they stay longer than three (3) days prior approval will be needed from the
property manager.

You may call 217-444-3102 to inquire about a potential guest(s) barred status.